Friday, May 18, 2007

The Messenger Journeys to Dimona, Israel

By Amy Green
Boxingscene.com

Anthony "The Mesenger" Thompson has prepared for his June 9 fight with Yuri Foreman with time in the gym, sparring, running the miles, punishing the body, thinking with a fighter’s mind to focus on his undefeated opponent. Thompson also had two weeks in Floyd Mayweather’s training camp for Oscar De La Hoya, valuable time in which he gained knowledge and skill from the pound for pound king.

"I thank Team Mayweather." Thompson said. " When my granddaddy taught me "wisdom is power," he never lied. Floyd Mayweather touched me more by talking to me that he did with his hands. And what he told me was "we don’t get tired. Black people got a lot of talent but we ain’t never in condition. And that’s all I had to hear. When I came back I’ve been training like a monster ever since."

Pushing himself physically, and also mentally, getting his mind around facing his undefeated opponent. For Thompson, boxing is made up of three, even four components: physical, mental, spiritual and emotional. Now he’s going the extra mile to face Foreman. Several thousand miles to Dimona, Israel, the land of his heritage for spiritual and emotional training that will further define his career.

Team Thompson will be hosted by spiritual leader Ben Ammi who has welcomed such celebrities as Stevie Wonder into his fold. During the week in Dimona, Thompson’s focus will be to "train me on the inside. I got a tremendous team with my brother Tyonn, Nasi Yabok and my sparring partners Demetrius Hopkins and Rasheem Brown, and this is the best camp Team Thompson has ever had, but I’m gonna go away for one week to get myself together. Eat right, sleep right, pray, and ask for forgiveness for all my sins I’ve committed against my Creator. Dwell amongst my people for a week." When I come back, that next Sunday, starting back Monday it will be back to hard work." See: The Messenger Journeys to Dimona, Israel

No comments: