Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Thompson Stops Frazier!

The report from the Philadelphia family!
Submitted by Ahtur Ammioz
KNN D.C.

Anthony "The Messenger" Thompson (23-1, 17 KOs) continued to put the junior middleweight division on notice with an impressive sixth round stoppage of Robert "Pushup" Frazier (31-8-4, 15 KOs).

Thompson, of North Philadelphia, entered the ring to the rhythmic sound of drums and went to work right in the first round with nice movement behind a stiff jab that allowed him to throw a few hooks to the body, followed by rights up top. Frazier returned fire with several lighter flurries.

Thompson finally put Frazier to the canvas in round six with a right hook, left combination just above the beltline. Frazier was able to get to his feet by the count of eight but was withering quickly. Thompson continued the assault with a steady dose of combinations as Frazier could only hold on until the bell sounded to end round six. Frazier's corner had seen enough and called a halt to the bout to prevent further damage.

Thompson gave warning to the champions in the division. “Whoever you (the fans) think I should fight, I will fight. It is not about can I fight. It is about whom I fight. I don't care who it is, whether it's Shane (Mosley) or Oscar (De La Hoya). I am training right and they are going to have problems. I can guarantee it!”

No comments: